I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your friendship and support during my two terms as Johnson County Sheriff. As you may be aware, I will be retiring from the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office at the end of 2018. It has been a wonderful 37 years in law enforcement, and though I have enjoyed it very much, it is time for me to move on to the next chapter.
With that in mind, and considering the issues we will be facing during the next sheriff’s term(s), I am asking for your support in electing Duane Burgess as the next Sheriff of Johnson County. There are four candidates running for Johnson County Sheriff – three Republicans and one Democrat. The primary election to select the Republican candidate is Tuesday, May 8th, 2018. This date is an important one for the future of law enforcement in Johnson County.
In summary, here are few high level reasons I am asking you to support Duane Burgess in May and in November:
- I strongly believe my replacement should be selected from within the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. Duane Burgess has been with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office for 30 years. He has served 4 years as a Dispatcher and another 26 years as a Merit Deputy. No other candidate can match the experience and education this provides in law enforcement in Johnson County.
- Through those 30 years of service to Johnson County, Duane Burgess has become the most qualified candidate – not only from a law enforcement perspective, but also by his experience with our budget, management 50 personnel in his division, merit board issues, pension system, relationships with county commissioners, facility maintenance, etc.
- Duane Burgess is my Commander of the Jail Division. This is the most important job in the agency. The jail is going to be the number one issue for the next Sheriff. In its current condition, the jail will continue to be over-populated. Any plans for jail addition(s) or updates to the existing structure should include the expertise of the current jail commander.
- Duane Burgess has already proven himself as an accomplished Dispatcher, Uniformed Officer, Investigator, Narcotics Officer, D.A.R.E. Officer, and Jail Commander. He is a recent graduate of the FBI National Academy, serves on the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office’s Dive Team (SCUBA) and continues to lead our Explorers Program as Post Advisor.
- Duane Burgess already knows the men and women of the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office and their capabilities. He has already built positive working relationships with the key players in the Johnson County Criminal Justice system, as well many of the surrounding counties.
- Duane Burgess was born and raised in Johnson County (White River Township). His active service for 30 years in the county and our community provides him with the most familiarity of our people, our strengths, our challenges, and our concerns. He is one of us.
Duane is a friend, and a brother, that I believe will carry on the beliefs and principles of the current administration and on the positive work created by the administrations before my own.
I have very much enjoyed my years in law enforcement in our county and look forward to the next chapter in my life, hopefully with Duane Burgess as our Sheriff.
Please support Duane Burgess as your next Sheriff.
Douglas F. Cox